Photo of past award winner

International Students

The Church Divinity School of the Pacific (CDSP) is committed to providing the best quality education and seminary experience possible for our students.

As an institution, CDSP realizes that international students face special considerations. International students can apply directly to our MDiv program, however one of the important considerations is the ability to show financial self-sufficiency.

International student issues are administered by the Director of Student Services and Recruitment. A full copy of the CDSP International Student Policy is available by contacting the Director of Student Services and Recruitment or calling 510-204-0715.

I-20 Forms
CDSP is authorized to provide students with the I-20 document necessary to obtain an F-1 student visa. To obtain the I-20 a student must document sufficient financial resources ($20,367 in addition to tuition) for each nine-month period of study while at CDSP. Once a student receives the I-20, he or she goes to the U.S. Consulate office in his or her home country to apply for the F-1 student visa.

Family members may join you while you are enrolled in a full-time program of study at CDSP. However, CDSP is unable to provide assistance with living expenses. For spouses, you must add $500 US in living expenses (in addition to your own) for each month you will live in the United States; for children, the additionl funding available must be at least $250 per month per child. Documentation demonstrating evidence of the availability of funds to provide for living expenses for both the student and family members must be submitted to the Dean of Students so that the the I-20 forms for family members can be processed. Once family members receive their I-20, they may go to the U.S. Consulate office in the home country to apply for the F-2 visa.

Self-supporting students: Must provide current bank statements showing the equivalent of $20,367 for nine month programs of study. Currency amounts must be converted into US dollars. An additional amount is required for students with dependents.

Sponsored students (students receiving financial support from an institution or personal sponsor): Must provide financial support letter from the sponsoring organization or individual indicating the sponsor’s commitment to pay for the student’s living expenses (at least $20,367 for nine months) for the duration of the student’s academic program. An additional amount is required for students with dependents. Additional amounts are also required if the student remains in the US during the summer months.

All international students from countries in which the official language is not English are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). All applicants must score a minimum of 570 on the written exam, 230 on the computer exam or 80 on the Internet-based exam (iBT). There are no waivers allowed except for students from Canada and the United Kingdom.

Please visit the Educational Testing Service for information on the TOEFL.