Dean of Academic Affairs and Hodges-Haynes Professor of Liturgics
B.S., Syracuse University
M.Div., Seabury-Western Theological Seminary
M.A., Ph.D., University of Notre Dame
A native of New Jersey, Ruth Meyers earned her undergraduate degree in special education at Syracuse University and taught at the elementary school level for five years. She earned her M.Div. from Seabury-Western Theological Seminary and her MA and Ph.D. in liturgical studies from the University of Notre Dame. She began teaching liturgy at CDSP in 2009 after 14 years on the faculty at Seabury-Western Theological Seminary, Evanston, Illinois. In 2012 CDSP appointed her dean of academic affairs. Currently an assisting priest at All Souls Episcopal Parish in Berkeley, she has also served as a priest in the Dioceses of Western North Carolina, Western Michigan, and Chicago. She served on the Episcopal Church’s Standing Commission on Liturgy and Music from 2008 until 2015 and chaired the commission from 2009-2015.
- Introduction to Worship
- Fundamental of Worship
- Liturgical Leadership
- Missional Worship, Worshipful Mission: Gathering As God’s People, Going Out in God’s Name, Calvin Institute of Christian Worship Liturgical Studies series (Eerdmans, 2014)
- Continuing the Reformation: Re‑Visioning Baptism in the Episcopal Church (New York: Church Publishing, Inc., 1997)
- Worship-Shaped Life: Liturgical Formation and the People of God, Canterbury Studies in Anglicanism (editor and contributor) (Harrisburg: Canterbury Press & Morehouse Publishing, 2010)
- "The Baptismal Ecclesiology of Holy Women, Holy Men," (co-author) Anglican Theological Review 94:1 (2012):27-36
- “Who May Be Invited to the Table?” Anglican Theological Review 94 (Spring 2012): 233-44.
- “Worship and Mission,” in Alcuin Guide to the Study of Liturgy and Worship, ed. Ben Gordon-Taylor and Juliet Day (SPCK and Liturgical Press, 2013) pp. 202-11.
- “The Easter Cycle,” in Liturgical Spirituality: Anglican Reflections on the Church’s Prayer (Seabury Books, 2013) pp. 173-89.
- “Re-Imagining Confirmation,” in Signed, Sealed, Delivered: Theologies of Confirmation for the 21st Century, compiled by Sharon Ely Pearson (Church Publishing, Inc., 2014) 33-52.
- “An American Experience of Developing the 1979 BCP and the Recent Development of the BCP in the Episcopal Church,” Liturgical Commission, Hong Kong Sheng Kung Hui, January 14, 2014
- “Liturgy and Mission,” provincial clergy meeting, Hong Kong Sheng Kung Hui, January 16, 2014
- “Baptism in Anglican Tradition,” Ming Hua Theological College, Hong Kong, January 16, 2014
- “Liturgical Customs: Fixity and Flexibility of Liturgical Performance,” Servers Guild, Hong Kong Sheng Kung Hui, January 18, 2014
- “Mission and Liturgy,” Ming Hua Theological College, Hong Kong, January 23, 2014
- “For the Common Good: Weaving Together Liturgy and Mission,” and “Liturgy That Matters: Celebrating for the Sake of the World,” keynote addresses, “Weaving Strands: Liturgy for Living,” National Worship Conference, Anglican Church of Canada and Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada, July 21-22, 2014.
- “The Beauty of Holiness: Weaving a New Tapestry of Liturgy and Mission,” Diocese of Oregon Clergy Conference, April 27-29, 2015.