Student Employment FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions about CDSP Student Employment

How do I find a student employment position?

CDSP does not assign job positions. When seeking jobs on campus, check the Web site for information on available positions. As with any job, a resume and a brief interview will be required. Be sure to inform the hiring supervisor if you qualify for work-study status.

What is Federal Work Study?

Federal Work Study, or FWS, is calculated as part of a student's financial aid package. In place of or in addition to loans taken at the start of an academic year, work study allows a student to earn money throughout the year, which can be paid toward the student's account or used for other expenses. As with other jobs, students receive a paycheck for their work.

Can I get a student job without having Federal Work-Study (FWS)?

Yes. Positions open to students with FWS are also open to students without, but those with FWS are given preference in hiring. (Some exceptions occur such as when a former student applies for the same position in the new academic year.) Sacristans are not able to be paid with FWS money, but those with FWS grants are still eligible to serve as a sacristan; the money just comes from a different source.

How do know if I have Federal Work-Study (FWS) as part of my financial aid package?

FWS is usually included on the print out sent to students illustrating expenses, scholarships, loans, and estimated costs. If you are unsure about whether or not you qualify for work study, or are unsure about how much work study you qualify for, please contact the Consortial Financial Aid Office.

Is there a way that I can acquire Federal Work-Study (FWS), or additional FWS?

The GTU financial aid office is available to assist students who do not currently have FWS grants and possibly make additional awards.

Can I keep the same position from year to year?

With the permission of your supervisor, yes. Students generally work in the same department throughout their time at CDSP, but please note that all student employment agreements automatically expire on June 30th each year, and a new agreement needs to be signed to continue working. Hiring supervisors have access to the required paperwork.

Can I change jobs?

If a position is open in a different department, a current student employee may apply with the hiring supervisor and change jobs, as long as they give sufficient notice to their current supervisor. Changes in positions are generally easiest and least disruptive during the summer or at the beginning of the academic year.

Can I work more than one job as a student?

Yes, but your total hours per week may not exceed 20 while you are enrolled in classes or 40 during academic breaks. Also, a student may work no more than 8 hours in a day. If a student holds more than one job, they need to submit separate timesheets for each position, clearly indicating job title and department on each.

How do I balance work with school?

A national study showed that students who work 10-15 hours per week have a higher graduation rate than the overall student body. However, the graduation rate begins to decline as the number of hours worked increases above 15. Students who try to work more than 20 hours per week and go to school full-time have the highest dropout rate. But remember, you know yourself better than anyone, so pay attention to how you handle a workload. You are here first as a student, and student employment is meant to support that endeavor, not detract from it. You may decrease or drop your work hours at any time, such as if you plan on needing more time during finals week, though you should discuss this with your supervisor beforehand so that they can prepare and the work can still get done in your absence.

Does the money I earn in a student position go directly towards my student account with CDSP?

No, students receive the money they earn in the form of a paycheck and will need to budget it towards school expenses.

How do I get paid, how much, and how often?

All student employment positions are compensated at $12.00/hour. As a student employee, you will fill out a timesheet. Blank timesheets can be found in the timesheet mailbox by the CDSP front office, on the CDSP network, or on the CDSP website. Make sure all fields on the timesheet are complete; incomplete timesheets may be subject to return for completion and payment at a later date. Verify that the hours worked each day, the daily totals, the total hours for the week, and the total hours for the pay period are all accurate. Student and supervisor signatures are required before the timesheet can be processed. Timesheets are due the 9th and 24th of each moth, unless otherwise noted, as in the case of holidays. Payments are made on the 15th and last day of the month, or last business day before those dates if they land during a weekend or holiday. Paychecks are placed in the student's CDSP mailbox. A direct deposit option is also available.

Do I get to take breaks?

Student workers are considered non-exempt employees. All employees who are non-exempt (covered by the Fair Labor Standards Act and thus entitled to overtime) must be provided a meal break of at least one half hour (unpaid) for every work period of more than five hours. However, if six hours of work will complete the day's work, the employee may voluntarily choose not to take the meal break. Student workers are also entitled to a rest break of not less than 10 minutes for each four hours worked, to occur as nearly as possible near the middle of the work period. These breaks are paid, and are not noted on time sheets.

If I work on a holiday, do I receive overtime pay?

If student workers are asked to work on a CDSP holiday, they will be paid at regular or overtime wage rates depending on the number of hours worked during the work day and week.

Is my paycheck taxable?

Yes, student earnings are taxed. Besides Social Security and other applicable taxes, how much is deducted from your paycheck depends on how you complete the W-4 form.

© 2012 Church Divinity School of the Pacific